Washburn Random Thoughts

Setting The Stage

Drawing a Picture With Words

From the beginning of my writing career, my wife Carolyn has been my working editor.  She pulls no punches and helps with so many things, like not switching character point of view, not losing reader momentum in backstory or subplot tangents, focusing the direction of character dialogue, and clearly setting the stage for key story events.  She is also good at reducing and simplifying my sentence and paragraph structures.
            She has always loved theater and thinks in terms of what the set (background, scenery and props) should look like.  Properly staging the story in crisp, clean wording helps the reader form a complete mental picture of what is happening, which keeps the reader oriented and engaged.
            Using the right props can make or break a key story event.  In addition, a good prop can be woven into the story to tie together a chain of events or people.  Certain props can even have their own character, almost a personality.  My first car was just a stripped-down dune buggy, an engine on a frame, but it still had lots of character, which contributed to the success of many of my teenage adventures.
            I got my first car because of someone else’s Christmas gift.  Gerald Rana and I played on the football team together throughout high school.  He was a hard-charging full back; I was a center.  One year, Gerald’s neighbor got an arc welding kit for Christmas and that very day, the neighbor pushed an old Pontiac into his front yard.
            No one worried about the lawn; Trona had no lawns.  The alkaline soil killed any grass (and even most weeds) that tried to grow there.  With no lawn to worry about, the neighbor decided to use the space in front of his house to turn an old car (with a great engine) into a dune buggy.
            Cutting arc in hand, the neighbor dove in and stripped off the car body, even removing the dash board with all its gauges.  Then he sliced right through the middle of the car, drive shaft and all, so that the car lay in two separate pieces.  Cutting all the way through the car again, but now just in front of the rear wheel assembly, he hauled the whole middle section of the car away to the dump.
            He was energized!  Work continued for days in every spare moment.  He welded together the front and rear pieces of both the drive shaft and frame.  The car was now less than half its original length.
            The straight-8 engine, with its eight pistons in a row, took up half the length of the buggy.  Behind the engine on the shortened frame was just a bench seat with a gas tank tucked behind that.  The car ended there.  With no real weight to pull, that straight-8 knew no bounds.
            The next step in the plan was to weld on roll bars and side supports, but Gerald’s neighbor ran out of steam at that point.  The project sat idle for weeks.  All along, Gerald had been observing the project next door with interest, so one day his neighbor called him over.
            “Hey, Gerald.  You like this dune buggy?”
            “Sure,” Gerald said.  “It’s going to be great.”
            His neighbor chewed his lip.  “I think I’m done.  My wife is tired of this project and keeps reminding me that I’ve got other things I should be working on.”  He raised his eyebrows at Gerald.  “If you want it, I’ll sell you this buggy ‘as is’ for just my out-of-pocket costs.”
            “Yea?  How much you talkin’?”
            “Fourteen dollars.”
            While you couldn’t beat the price, I think Gerald realized from the start there were going to be ongoing costs of upkeep, and it would be good to have a partner sharing those costs.  There were a number of guys he could have partnered with, but he chose me, and the next day in school, he approached me with a proposition.  He would let me in on the deal as a 50% owner if I paid half the price to his neighbor.
            This sounded like a sweet deal to me.  I was 14 or 15 years old at the time and crazy about cars.  Though I didn’t have a driver’s license yet, I had been driving (mostly off road) for some time.  The buggy had no lights or plates or anything else that was required by law for street use, but it was after all, just a dune buggy intended only for off-road use.  I figured I could sell the concept to my Dad on that basis.
            Early the next morning, when no one else was around, I approached Dad as he ate a solitary breakfast at the kitchen-bar counter.  “Hey, Dad.  Gerald Rana’s neighbor has a dune buggy for sale.  Gerald and I want to go in on it 50/50.  Can I buy half?”
            Dad looked at me closely as he chewed another bite.  I could see dollar signs flashing in his eyes and knew he was wondering how many hundreds of dollars this was going to cost him.
            “It won’t cost much,” I said encouragingly.
            Dad smiled and shook his head.  “How much?”
            “Fourteen bucks is the total cost.  If I pay seven dollars, I’ll be half owner.”
             Surprise flitted across his face, and he stopped chewing.  Then his grin widened.  I was prepared with a list of logical reasons why this purchase would make good sense, but without another question, he stood up, pulled his billfold out of his pants pocket and peeled off a five dollar bill and two ones.
            Handing the money to me he said, “Here you go.  Just don’t kill yourself.”
            I had a dune buggy (half a stripped-down dune buggy), but we used it like a car.  We couldn’t drive it much at night, without using flashlights, or drive it to school, but otherwise it had many practical uses.  Since the County Sherriff only came through Trona on Thursdays, most of the time we drove it all over town.
            It was an educational purchase as well.  I learned a lot about auto repair.  Whenever anything went wrong, we’d drive out to the city dump and rummage around in the abandoned cars for a new part.  We didn’t care if it came from a Pontiac or not.  We could make just about any part from any other make or model work in our Pontiac.  Once, the starter motor went bad.  We found one that didn’t look too corroded in a Ford and drilled new holes in the frame to make it fit into our Pontiac.  The buggy started up like a dream.  Already a Frankenstein creation, we constantly attached more miss-matched parts, always trying to make it run better (faster).
            The real joy was what that buggy could do.  And the freedom we enjoyed.  We drove all over the desert, exploring places a regular car could never go.  We did tear up a lot of old tires, but there were piles of replacements available at the dump, and we were always trading out the buggy’s tires in a constant tradeoff between better traction or greater speed.
            For a while, we were excited with a set of rear dual tires mounted on dual rims from an abandoned, flatbed truck, but in the end, we decided the duals slowed us down too much and went back to single rims.
            Sometimes, we considered the cost of getting a set of roll bars added to the frame, but we worried about the extra weight the bars would add to the buggy.  Long term, the only things we really missed were the gauges, especially the gas gauge and a speedometer.  We were always dipping a stick into the gas tank to see how much gas was left, and we never knew how fast we were going.
            Though we didn’t know our speed, we did know, in a drag race, we never had any trouble shutting down all the other buggies around town.  None of those new V8s could hold a candle to our straight-8, and with the right tires, we would leave the competition in the dust.
            Once when Gerald’s parents were out of town, he drove his Dad’s car behind me as I raced the buggy down the Trona-Wildrose Highway as fast as I could go.  We wanted to see what the buggy’s maximum speed could be on a paved highway, but in just a few miles on a straightaway stretch of road, Gerald’s car fell back quickly.  He wasn’t matching my speed, so I slowed, waiting for him to catch up.
            When he pulled up beside me in the opposite lane, I yelled, “What’s the matter?”
            “When you got past 120 mph, my Dad’s car couldn’t keep up anymore.  You were leaving me in the dust like I was standing still.”
            We never did find out what the buggy’s maximum speed was, and I never did tell my Dad about the speed test.  However, I am sure that buggy was the best $7 investment I’ve ever made.  To this day, I sometimes sit back, close my eyes and imagine that I’m flying through the desert behind a Pontiac straight-8 engine with the pedal to the metal and no cares in the world.
            That first car was a first love of a special kind, which takes on the magical characteristics of the best kind of prop found in any story, fiction or otherwise.  Whenever I think of setting the stage in a story with a powerful prop, I will always think of my first car in all its stripped-down glory, and then attribute the quirky characteristics needed to give my story’s key prop its own, one-of-a-kind personality—one that any reader could love.

Comments

12/02/2015 4:01am

Thanks for posting this fantastic info.I discovered your article silent attention-grabbing. Maintain sharing.

12/19/2016 6:56pm

This post may be considered as a short story. I feel like I was reading a classic short story because of the beautiful narrative. I myself am a frustrated writer. I just can't determine what scene will be next, or I can't really explain well what the emotions of the characters. More power to you and your story-telling talent!

03/23/2017 4:10am

Comfortably, for me, I agree with that saying. If ever I would like to purchase a car. I would like to own an SUV car and that will be my car for the rest of my life. However, if I will have a family of my own, I would like to examine the bigger ones. I really do love cars and it is tough for me to let go of them.

03/08/2016 8:15am

03/23/2016 10:23am

But it still had lots of character, which contributed to the success of many of my teenage adventures.

08/06/2016 12:33pm

Among the various advancements in the automobile sector, the intelligent car keys have come up as an effective tool for the safety of your car. Apart from safeguarding your vehicle, these keys are also helpful in advancing your driving experience by adding more comfort and style.

08/09/2016 4:30am

The front door panel will be clipped with the help of the plastic clips that must be removed after unscrewing the door panel.

08/15/2016 10:55pm

every one like this post.keep posting.

08/23/2016 3:22pm

Your lifestyle necessitates you to have your own car or your old car needs to be replaced with a new one but you do not have enough funds to pay for the new car. You are told that you can have your new car through car loan and the car dealer laid down to you the forms you have to fill up, ask you to provide some documents and promised that you can drive home your car as soon as the loan documents are signed and approved.

for happy new year whatsapp images

09/10/2016 2:31am

her roommate in the calzoncillos calvin klein bed next to her at the hospice.

09/10/2016 7:46am

If you have a vehicle that is simply cluttering up your driveway, or maybe it would cost more to repair the car than it's actually worth, you might want to think about donating it and getting some cash back. Donating your car also lets you have a tax deduction come that time of year, so one way to get that cash and deduction is by giving your car to charity.

09/21/2016 3:55am

The business of aftermarket car parts is very popular in USA.

09/22/2016 7:26am

Towing services are everywhere these days - but they don't all work exactly the same. In many cases, if you suddenly end up needing a tow after regular working hours, you're in a lot of trouble as not many companies operate at those times.

09/23/2016 12:51pm

A popular belief about Hawaii, that there is no place like it, is nothing but an under statement. Its fresh, floral air energizes you. The warm, tranquil waters refresh you. And as if that is not enough, its breathtaking, natural beauty will revive you. Hawaii makes one of the topmost holiday spots, it is known for offering you relaxation and luxury. And what better way of experiencing it, than to take a ride in a Limousine.

10/12/2016 8:11pm

Thanks for posting. every one like this post. keep posting.

10/12/2016 11:02pm

There are ways to get rid of your old, broken car and still make money out of them. This article provides an alternative for dumping your old and damaged vehicles.

11/18/2016 7:52am

That's true my first love is my first car my first car was BMW 2009 Modal, and now have Audi latest version.

11/26/2016 11:48am

The various improvements in your car industry, the brilliant car important factors have come up as an effective device for the protection of your car. Apart from protecting your automobile, these important factors are also beneficial in improving your driving experience by including more style and luxury.

11/29/2016 4:45am

Welcome to my article about developing a private hire company that specializes in chauffeur hire services. This is an insight to starting up a new chapter and trying something that you may have thought of but have never had the courage.

12/10/2016 5:13am

12/13/2016 4:02am

A world powerhouse and Europe's biggest city, London is one of the ultimate city-break destinations. Whether you enjoy its fabulous art, history and architecture, breathtaking sights, world-class cultural events, fine dining and vibrant nightlife or top quality theatre, ballet and opera, this pulsating metropolis fits the bill.

12/14/2016 3:21am

As a parent, the time between when school gets out and you get home can be one of the most stressful times of the day

12/15/2016 4:46am

Plagiarism is an issue that plagues schools and universities worldwide. Each year educational institutions struggle to find solution to plagiarism as many students are caught plagiarizing their essays and research papers. It is, therefore, important to understand what plagiarism is, how to avoid it and the tools that are available to check for it.

12/16/2016 6:50am

Everyone remembers their first car—not only the make and the model but how the steering wheel felt in our hands, the scent of the interior, the friends who rode shotgun. First cars make for more than just nostalgic memories, though—they’re often the first “big thing” we’re responsible for.

01/04/2017 5:14am

I’m experiencing some small security issues with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

01/04/2017 5:33am

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

01/28/2017 2:50am

Best iTunes Alternatives

01/30/2017 7:28pm

Send fresh flowers to Chennai by local florist on any special occasion, birthday and anniversary. We provide cakes, gifts, fresh flowers in all the areas in Chennai. Midnight and same day delivery option.

02/03/2017 4:38am

On my 21st birthday, my dad give me a BMW car as a gift and that's true my first car was my first love, that time was very exited to have it, and now i have Audi, and i also love this car.

02/13/2017 6:18am

A list of common terms and abbreviations used in car finance. These apply equally to regular car finance and bad credit car loans.

02/18/2017 12:18am

We're not all wealthy. Sometimes we need to be frugal. This is a buyer's guide to saving money when renting a luxury party bus or limousine. Read it and use it to save money; you won't regret it.

02/24/2017 1:25am

When booking a transport request with a car shipping provider, make sure that the company is reliable, insured and bonded, and offers you the best deal for your buck. Please, read on to find out what else you should know before finalizing a booking.

Really appreciate all the stuff made by this blog to let people know more about this topic. I added little more relevant points to my knowledge which definitely going to help me in coming future.

03/12/2017 7:19am

Quick overview on the pros and cons of purchasing an extended auto warranty to help you make the right decision.

03/14/2017 5:29am

It was great reading about your first love which was your car. It was great reading about your experience with the car and how it all proceeded, pretty impressed. I hope you keep proceeding like this.

03/29/2017 1:20am

A town car is defined as a historical automobile with open front seats, close rear compartment, and normally with removable top designed to cover the chauffeur's front compartment. Typical town cars can accommodate 10 or more passengers depending on the type of car. Town cars serve as a common choice for travelers who preferred an arranged transportation to and from their destination due to their versatility.

04/02/2017 10:21am

When it comes to business ethics most people think about Wall Street executives, bankers, insider trading, and the corruption which comes with crony capitalism in the incestuous relationship the between big business and government. It is interesting that most of the books written on ethics do have a business slant, although it is safe to say that humans regardless of their area of endeavor are often challenged with unethical behavior.

04/02/2017 11:43pm

Every week in United States, a lot of cars become government property through impounded, repossessed and foreclosure. Most people do not know that there is a choice to save more than 1,000 of dollars when they need to buy a classic car or a luxury car.

04/06/2017 2:00pm

I don't know who doesn't like their very first car. In my case, my first car was my father's first car. He's treasured his car and I will do so as well, it's somewhat become an antique but still, is gorgeous.

04/11/2017 4:01am

If you are thinking of a car that is sleek, sporty, luxurious or cheap then the right choice is to look for a Japanese car model. Japanese cars are the highest selling cars in the world and are very much in demand.

We are suggesting you to keep on visiting our site as we will give you the latest information all the time. Thanks for sharing this information.

04/17/2017 11:11am

This is very useful post for me and it helps me a lot. Thank you so much for this and have a great time.

05/04/2017 4:55am

Mother’s Day is celebrated for our family most special person our mother. Mother is a god gift for all people in the world. Every son/daughter is celebrated Mother’s Day for their mother; they express their feelings, love, and joy with their mom. Mother’s Day is celebrated in all over the world on different days; it means Mothers Day Date is not same in all over the world. In most countries, Mother’s Day is celebrated second Sunday of month May. Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1908 when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother at St Andrew’s Methodist Church in Grafton, West Virginia. St Andrew’s Methodist Church now holds the International Mother’s Day Shrine.

Awesome post! Good job.

Really excellent! Thanks for sharing.

05/20/2017 10:27am

An experienced auto repair shop can provide you with the reputable services you need. You can select the best repair technician with the right qualifications by using important tips that allow you to make an informed decision.

05/23/2017 7:17am

Many thanks for getting enough time to discuss this, They have been a giant help for us. Thanks a whole lot.

05/24/2017 1:00am

All you want is here

05/26/2017 3:56am

Ebook digital production handlers, Developer for ebook production agency,ebook conversion service handlers, digiatl ebook production solutions, leading ebook production service, standard ebook productions, Best Ebook producer in india, Ebook content production agency, Ebook Topper, Ebook learning Application development services,iphone apps development ,Android apps developer, Apps development testing, Customized Apps development, Development of ebook reader Apps, Apps development lifecycle, ipad apps developer agency, Tablet apps development provide, Best digital book publishers, Digital article edition publishing ,Technical content digital publishing, Digital publishing for databases, Internation Digital publishing achievers, Magazine Digital publishing agency.

Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!

05/30/2017 3:49am

his is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the leisure here! Keep up the excellent work.

05/30/2017 3:59am

06/15/2017 3:09am

There are various types of transport companies covering a wide range of services including overseas shipping and international transport, transport of custom-built products, expensive products, luxurious products, exotic items, etc. These options may include door-to-door transport, terminal-to-terminal, enclosed transport, carrier transport, or rail transport, air transport, etc.

06/17/2017 1:15am

click here Big Data industry is growing at a rate of 10% each year and leaves its impact on nearly every business house worldwide

06/17/2017 4:30am

Hiring a limousine or car service is not just a special occasion event. Here are a few ways you can incorporate the style and class of a car service into your everyday life.

07/01/2017 10:24am

great work keep it up the good things

07/06/2017 5:53am

Limo hire services are appropriate for many different events. Find out how to rent the perfect limo for your special occasion.

07/17/2017 10:16am

When you buy a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler, it is urgent to assess how its price will depreciate in the coming years. In effect, you should keep suitable insurance covers to avoid abrupt losses. Always keep in mind that when you propose to sell the car, it will come under used car category, and the price will naturally become low. You should be well-versed with the different types of insurance and what the insurance companies have to offer. Keep the insurance premium calculator handy for used car valuation.

07/21/2017 1:31pm

Everyone knows that first car love!

07/26/2017 4:30am

Have you ever been in an accident where you couldn't drive away and were trapped with nobody to turn to? Did your car break down and you need it to be fixed but you can't drive it there? Look into towing and recovery services to help you out with that.

08/12/2017 1:29am

Who doesn't want to own a exotic car? Exotic cars are amazing vehicles. They are a cut above the rest, and exotic car rental makes it a distinct possibility to get into one. Discover more in this article!

08/14/2017 10:09pm

Our goal is to help people pursue, grow, and expand their businesses beyond borders through effective communication materials.

08/23/2017 4:24am

In order to understand towing, it's important to know what tools are used in towing. Understand too what each tool is used for. In this article I provide you with the tools used for towing.

08/27/2017 6:44am

Modern Drones are incredible machines that are capable of doing amazing things in the marine and yachting environment.

08/29/2017 6:19pm

Calibrate power screwdrivers torque measurement and wrenches or use as production tools.

08/30/2017 7:05am

I always like to read a quality content having accurate information regarding the subject and the same thing I found in this post. Nice work.

08/30/2017 7:06am

walmart credit card login Walmart is the biggest store in the United States and has hundreds of branches across the globe

09/06/2017 5:25pm

Dr. Lockwood discusses treatment options with each patient to determine the best approach for correcting issues that are affecting their appearance and overall oral health.

09/07/2017 7:25am

Digital torque wrenches capture peak torque or display torque measurement in real time mode. High and low setpoints with LED indicator and audible alarm facilitate Go/No Go testing.

Great information source..!!

09/08/2017 6:24pm

The force gauge kits include a selection of standard compression and tension attachments.

09/21/2017 12:22am

Breathable car covers can easily dry up moisture formed in the car while protecting it from the outside harmful elements.

10/02/2017 6:02am

It’s going to be ending of mine day, but before ending I am reading this fantastic piece of writing to improve my knowledge.

An auto body repair franchise has the potential for great success.

10/05/2017 5:55pm

Our LED stroboscopes use solid-state light sources that are very durable and long lived with no heat generation or drift over time.

10/06/2017 5:48pm

10/06/2017 10:18pm

Mesmerized article written on this blog with other relevant information. It is straight to the point that how we can improve our skills as well as how we can be represented to a new stream of professionalism.

10/17/2017 5:39am

Children today are spending more time in front of the television and Xbox than going outside and playing games. There is plenty to do outside. With plenty of games and activities you can do outside, television and game consoles are obsolete.

10/29/2017 10:10am

I like your blog post. Keep on writing this type of great stuff. I'll make sure to follow up on your blog in the future.

10/31/2017 7:36pm

Owners of small companies who require a bookkeeping service can either employ an internal accountant or contract out the work to a bookkeeping service business.

11/04/2017 12:50am

When it comes to interior designing, we often leave it to the professionals. However, we have to remind ourselves that in the end, we are the ones to spend most of the day in the house being decorated or redesigned so we still have to be part of the design process. We should have the first and last say on the design to be followed - no matter how good the designer is.