Washburn Random Thoughts

PEOPLE-WATCHING FOR FUN AND PROFIT.

Thank Heaven for the Characters of this World.

Last week, we established that, at least for writers, there can be creative benefits in tapping into the crazy side of one’s own id.  In addition, there can be creative benefits in understanding the crazy side of a friend or family member.  In fact, the closer the friend or loved one, the better the opportunity to observe and understand what makes that person tick, especially under stress, like when angry or afraid.
            I have to tell you about my good friend, Jay Bell.  Jay was blind, as in mostly blind, legally blind.  Born prematurely in a small hospital, the oxygen mix was too rich in the tent they put over him and his eyes were permanently damaged.   When I moved with my family to the isolated desert town of Trona, California, Jay was the weird kid with the heavy, half-inch thick glasses, but he soon became one of my best friends.  Throughout our high school and college days, we had great adventures together.
            Though Jay saw only a fuzzy version of the world the rest of us saw clearly, he was fearless, especially when we were exploring old mines.  In the dark, he often led the way.  In truth, I learned some important lessons about life while watching Jay face the unknown.  Many of his strong, and some of his quirky, qualities are now reflected in my stories--in my key characters, both protagonists as well as antagonists.
            In addition, being friends with Jay in high school had a number of great benefits.  First off, was his Mom.  “Hi, Berk,” she’d say with a smile when I showed up at Jay’s front door, and then she’d stuff me full with large quantities of home-cooked food.  At 6 feet 4 inches and the center on the Trona Tornado’s football team, I was always hungry.  My stomach was basically bottomless.
            Another benefit was the freedom we had to explore the desert.  I think Mrs. Bell thought Jay would be safe with me and pretty much let us run free in Mr. Bell’s old pickup truck--as long as I was driving of course.  Jay never did get a driver’s license, and his father had long since retired, so his truck was rarely used.  In hindsight, her faith in me may not have been justified.  Though neither of us was ever seriously injured, it was not for want of trying, and to this day, I still carry minor scars from our misadventures.
            One hot summer morning, a few friends, including Jay and me, decided to drive out to the Ruth Mine in Homewood Canyon.  It was always cool inside the deep mines, and we were ready for adventure.  Besides just hanging-out in the canyon, picking off mangy jackrabbits with our .22s, and gorging on Hostess cherry pies, we hoped to find dynamite left behind in the old, abandoned mine.  We were always searching for new sources of dynamite and rumor had it that explosives were stored in the depths of that mine.
            The main shaft of Ruth Mine is vertical, plunging straight down into the deep, dark core of the mountain.  Every fifty to one hundred feet, horizontal shafts branch off, reaching out to where more veins of ore had been discovered.  In our day, the only way down to the many horizontal tunnels was on a wooden ladder, really a series of ladders bolted in sections to the large, timber support beams bracing the sides of the main shaft.  The ladders stretched for hundreds of feet down the sheer sides of the wide vertical shaft.
            Carrying extra flashlights and batteries, we descended into the bowels of the mine, which seemed to go for miles in many directions, on many levels.  Whenever we came across a cave-in or a tunnel closure, Jay was usually the one to squeeze through to see if there was anything worth exploring on the other side.  Not only was Jay thin and wiry, nothing seemed to intimidate him.  After exploring for hours and finding only old tools and mining equipment, but no dynamite, we were hungry and decided to climb back up to the truck.  Those Hostess pies were calling us.
            One behind the other, we crawled up the series of old ladders, passing one level of horizontal tunnels after the other, with Jay reluctantly bringing up the rear.  He had wanted to go deeper, but we had prevailed upon him to take a break.  We could go back down later and explore more.  It looked like it would take days to explore the extensive, multilevel complex of horizontal tunnels.
            We had reached the top of the vertical shaft, which connected with a short tunnel leading to the outside, and were waiting for Jay, when suddenly he called, “Hey guys, I need a hand over here!”
            There was a large gap between the support beams that rimmed the top of the main shaft and the rocky ledge of the exit tunnel.  The ladder ended even with one of the timber beams, and there was nothing to hold on to while stepping across from the ladder to the stone ledge.  Jay had put his flashlight in his pocket so he could climb with both hands, and the exit tunnel at this point was far enough away from the entrance to be in perpetual dark.  Jay was completely blind as he got ready to step over to the tunnel’s uneven floor.
            Turning with my flashlight, I saw Jay’s free hand grasping helplessly at thin air, so I reached out and grabbed his hand.  With one hard pull, I dragged him up onto the ledge next to me, and as Jay struggled to get both feet onto solid rock, the whole top section of the ladder, twenty feet or more in length, broke away from the support beams.  With a splintering screech of old wood, the ladder dropped out of sight and crashed loudly as it fell hundreds of feet down to the bottom of the mine.
            In the total silence that followed, we all stood at the edge of the gaping shaft, staring down soberly into the deep, black depths, realizing that lady luck had just smiled on Jay.
            Finally, Ken Corbridge cleared his throat to speak.  I thought he was going to say we were lucky that no one was still on that ladder when it broke away.  Instead, he said, rather forcefully, “Oh, crap!  Now we can’t go back down that shaft again.”  That was as close as Ken got to swearing since he had sworn off swearing.
            Jay straightened up defensively.  “Don’t blame me!  It wasn’t my fault the ladder broke.”
            Suddenly, we were all grinning, so I added my two cents.  “Yea, sure.  You were going to try to ride that ladder like a sled all the way back down to the bottom of the mine.  You were the one that kept saying we should keep going until we got all the way to the bottom.”
            “Not that way!”  Jay backed away from the vertical shaft and turned to leave.  “That ladder probably fell halfway to Hell.  I’m not interested in any one-way tickets to nowhere.”
            “Well,” I said.  “Let’s not tell your Mom about this.”
            “Right!  And she wonders why I never have much to say about our adventures.  If she knew half of what happens when we go exploring, I’d be grounded for life.”
            That about summed it up.
            In silence, we trudged back to Mr. Bell’s old pickup truck.  I knew Jay was a great story teller, when his Mom wasn’t around, so I couldn’t help thinking, Someday, Jay is going to have some great stories to tell his grandkids.  I hope he remembers to mention my part in his stories.
            It turns out that Jay never got a chance to tell his stories, at least not in this life, but that is another story altogether.  In the end, it turned out that I would be the one telling the stories, and I do remember to include Jay in my stories—in more ways than one.

Comments

01/27/2016 11:05am

For a long time, I have required to be a wilderness direct and have determined to make it an actuality. If you were itinerant in northern Minnesota would you employ a director to lead your journey.

01/09/2017 7:42pm

It's great to know that you had an awesome experience. Sometimes there really are things that are out of our control. This is the best time to just sit back and wait for things to unfold in a beautiful way. If things don't come out as we expected then we should not worry too much. It will be better, I promise. Thanks for sharing your experience.

04/25/2017 7:45am

Your blog post may be lengthy, but it is really informative and entertaining. It is nice to learn about your friend Jay Bell. I can say that he is the type of person who is really determined to have a success in life. I like how he has a vision and a positive perspective in life. I hope that more people will be able to read your post, so that you can inspire them as well. Maybe you could write more inspirational posts in the future.

08/04/2017 12:50am

The author has kept an amazing article. You made you show up and no trade about. All the more then likely this specific reality that you can not fight with the truth is not clearing, everything has its stunning case. A commitment of appreciation is all together for this data.

08/11/2016 12:26am

Gmail Notifier alerts the users of new email messages. Users can also read emails, delete or mark them as read, all without having to open a browser.

09/07/2017 2:56pm

We have provided the working solution to all the problems which are faced by the users. TuTuApp Fixed for Download & Install Issues of Pokemon Go: This is the answer to all the Pokemon GO lovers out there who have been having a hard time downloading and installing the game.

08/25/2016 5:52am

Reliance Jio 4G Sim Review

09/04/2016 2:33am

Nice! I want to hear more stories with Jay ;) Hope you'll share them with us!

09/10/2016 2:32am

I would be truly nike air max blancas hombre honored to "capture your cherished moments

09/20/2016 3:19am

awesome

All our editing experts work for you, therefore we deliver our services as and when you need them. We will not give you a chance to complain.

11/20/2016 10:09am

This story is so touching. I am very grateful. It was a good idea to post this story here.

12/15/2016 9:34am

Our book report writers are experienced and well qualified to assist you in all academic matters.

03/10/2017 7:25am

I read your whole blog, Your work is really good and inseparable, Thanks for sharing.

03/21/2017 6:16pm

I wish to imitate you as the owner with this outstanding blog, may possibly I?

03/21/2017 6:22pm

Determination of hues for your web journal is exceptionally reasonable I truly like appealing perusing for potential guests later.

03/23/2017 10:00am

I would like to use a individual weblog, I eat many times, it visit here, permit?

04/07/2017 2:26am

manabadi ssc results 2017
According to reports from the KSEEB board which was released by Minister in Karnataka State Kimmane Rathnakar, 79.16% students have cleared the examination.

Karnataka 10th class sslc results 2017

Your blog content is very good. Great efforts thanks for sharing this.

05/19/2017 12:22am

Excellent posts to read keep it up and keep going on this way. And keep sharing these types of things Thanks

05/22/2017 5:15am

Welcome to canada post tracking Track Canada Post Couriers & Parcels By Entering the Canada Post Tracking Number

Your weblog is admittedly good normally a satisfaction to examine your posts.

06/28/2017 6:22am

Tutu app is an app store same as google play store but extends the limits more than google play store by providing all apps for free of cost

Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!

08/08/2017 7:16am

Another thing that can cause problem is your inability to understand tough English. Yes... If you speak English as a 2nd language, then going through and comprehending scholarly books and articles will seem like a nightmare.

08/08/2017 7:25am

we care and we want to see you succeed.We use a powerful plagiarism detection software application and we'll gladly send you a free anti-plagiarism report with your essay.

08/08/2017 7:30am

A decent bit of composing requires a considerable measure of research and diligent work. In any case, keeping in mind the end goal to remain centered and keep yourself from trading off on quality, you should be totally keen on it too.
Tragically,

09/07/2017 4:52am

Any add-ons that are geo-restricted most likely requires a Kodi VPN to air channels across different countries. It protects your privacy and also your internet activity. Here is our list of best geo-restricted add-ons:

09/24/2017 1:27pm

WPS WPA Tester is an android app to find out if your Access Point is vulnerable at the WPS protocol. With WPS WPA Tester you can make sure that the WiFi that you are using to access the internet is secure or not and wether somebody is monitoring the access point or not. You can easily test your WiFi connection to AP with WPSPIN.

09/27/2017 6:57pm

Pink Hearts Emoji indicates that both of you were best friends on snapchat for two months continuously.This is the highest level of friendship on snapchat.This says that both you and your friend are sharing more number of snaps with each other for more than two months.

10/01/2017 3:10pm

Tutu Pokemon go apk is like a new store where you can get any application including paid apps for free. This new app store provides you the number of gaming applications which you can’t download with normal play store

Method 1 : Go to Chrome Web store and browse the below link https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/block-site/eiimnmioipafcokbfikbljfdeojpcgbh?hl=en.The name of the extension is Block website which helsp us to block websites on chrome browser.